Mozzarella & Pepper Bruschetta
Nothing beats the classics, and this Italian recipe for bruschetta is just that. The crunchy texture of the grilled Italian bread contrasts with a melting mozzarella topping and soft herby peppers. A couple of olives finish this traditional combination of flavours.
- 55 g (2 oz) Bertolli Original Spread
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp of dried or fresh rosemary (or parsley)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 slices Italian style bread, such as ciabatta
- 16 black olives
- 100 g (3½ oz) fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Heat the Bertolli spread in a frying pan and stir in the peppers, sugar and herbs. Cover and cook gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are very soft but not brown. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Grill the ciabatta bread slices on both sides until golden brown.
- Pile the pepper mixture on to the toast and top each slice with 2 olives and some mozzarella cheese.
- Place under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately.