Tray-baked chicken with french lentils
This is one of our favourite Mediterranean recipes – it’s a hearty, delicious dish that almost cooks itself. Just combine the lentils, tomato, stock, wine and other ingredients in a roasting tin, place the chicken on top, cover and pop in the oven. Then simply swirl in crème fraîche and spinach to finish, before serving up a treat.
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 tbsp Bertolli Original Spread
- 275 g green lentils or puy lentils rinsed drained
- 2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 250 ml dry white wine
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- 4 tbsp reduced-fat crème fraîche
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, 200°C fan oven, gas mark 7. Rub the chicken pieces all over with Bertolli and season.
- Place the lentils, tomatoes, onion, garlic, stock, wine, and rosemary into a medium roasting tin, just large enough to take the chicken in a single layer, and stir to combine. Top with the chicken and cover with foil or a tight fitting lid.
- Place into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 200°C, 180°C fan oven, gas mark 6 and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, until the chicken recipe becomes a rich golden colour, is thoroughly cooked and its juices run clear. Remove from the oven and place the chicken onto warmed plates to rest.
- Stir the spinach, crème fraiche and some seasoning into the lentils. Serve immediately or at room temperature with the chicken. Great with steamed green beans.
Nonna Rosa’s tip: try using chicken thighs or a jointed bird on the bone for variation.