- Place the cream, orange rind, saffron and cinnamon into a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Bring to just below boiling point then remove from the heat. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain the recipe mix through a fine sieve.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until the sugar has completely dissolved. Gradually add the cream mixture, whisking until combined.
- Return to the saucepan. Place over a very low heat and cook, stirring continuously without boiling, for 20 minutes or until the custard has thickened.
- Pour the custard into 6 x 200ml ovenproof brûlée or ramekin dishes. Leave to cool completely at room temperature, then cover and place in the fridge overnight, or for at least 4 hours until firm.
- When you are ready to eat, preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the extra sugar over the custard. Place the dishes into a deep roasting pan filled with ice. Cook under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar bubbles and caramelises. Alternatively use a cook’s blow torch.
*% of reference intake of an average adult (8400kJ/2000kcal)
600ml double cream
3 strips pared orange rind
1 small pinch saffron strands
1 cinnamon stick, broken
6 large egg yolks
75g caster sugar, plus an extra 6 tsp for the topping