The humble tomato has long been a mainstay of many Mediterranean recipes – and this quick and easy recipe really brings out and enhances their natural tangy flavour. It’s simple but delicious, with a mix of fresh herbs and garlic that give a super zing. Choose flavourful beefsteak tomatoes and get the best out of them.
- 40 g (1½ oz) Bertolli Light spread
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes
- mixed salad leaves and Italian style bread, to serve
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 220°C, 200°C fan, Gas 7
- Blend the Bertolli Light spread with the herbs and garlic.
- Halve the tomatoes, and with a sharp knife, make several shallow slits in the cut surface. Spread the herb mixture over the cut sides and arrange the tomatoes on a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until soft but not collapsed.
- Serve with salad leaves and Italian-style bread such as focaccia or olive bread.