Like many classic Italian food recipes, the trick with this delicious risotto is to use great ingredients – including dried porcini or mixed mushrooms gives an extra earthy flavour to the fresh chestnut mushrooms. Adding rosemary and good quality chicken stock will bring it all together – along with a little patience! Slow, steady stirring will yield a soothing creamy dish.
- Cooking time35 minutes
- Prep time10 minutes
- Servings4 portions
- 25 grams dried porcini mushrooms or mixed musgrooms
- 55 grams Bertolli Originale buttery spread plus extra to serve
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 280 grams chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 350 grams Arborio rice or risotto rice
- a little salt and black pepper
- 1 large fresh rosemary sprig
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 1.3 litres good-quality hot vegetable stock
- Parmesan cheese shavings to serve
|Energy (kcal)||509 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2131 kJ|
|Protein (g)||8.7 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||86.9 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||83.1 g|
|Sugar (g)||6.5 g|
|Fibre (g)||3.8 g|
|Fat (g)||9.2 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||2.1 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||6.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||2.8 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||3.8 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||1 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||830 mg|
|Salt (g)||2.07 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||492 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.4 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||25 mg|
|Iron (mg)||4.20 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||528 mg|
- Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with 300ml (½ pint) hot water. Leave to soak for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lift out the mushrooms, squeezing out the liquid and chop finely. Strain and reserve the liquid.
- In a large pan, melt the Bertolli and add the onion. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned. Add the fresh mushrooms and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring for another 2 minutes. Stir in the dried mushrooms, seasoning and rosemary sprig.
- With the heat on high, add the wine and stir until it evaporates. Now begin to add the hot stock, a ladle at a time, and allow the rice to cook gently, stirring frequently, until the liquid has been absorbed. Continue in this way for 20-25 minutes until the rice is creamy and cooked but still has a slight bite.
- Before serving, remove the rosemary and stir in a generous knob of Bertolli. Cover and leave to stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Top with Parmesan shavings and serve with salad leaves.