The humble tomato has long been a mainstay of many Mediterranean recipes – and this quick and easy baked tomatoes recipe really brings out and enhances their natural tangy flavour.
- Prep time5 minutes
- 40 grams Bertolli light buttery spread
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes
- mixed salad leaves to serve
- Italian style bread to serve
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 220°C, 200°C fan, Gas 7
- Blend the Bertolli Light spread with the herbs and garlic.
- Halve the tomatoes, and with a sharp knife, make several shallow slits in the cut surface. Spread the herb mixture over the cut sides and arrange the tomatoes on a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until soft but not collapsed.
- Serve with salad leaves and Italian-style bread such as focaccia or olive bread.