Grilled Halloumi with Herb Salad & Hot Bread
This simple but sumptuous grilled halloumi dish is one of the top Mediterranean recipes around – and yes, it does include making your own bread.
- Prep time20 minutes
- 8 portions
- 500 grams pack white bread mix
- plain flour for dusting
- 1 egg white lightly beaten
- 2 tbsps mixed seeds such as poppy, sesame and fennel
- 500 grams halloumi cheese cut into slices 24 slices
- 1 red chilli pepper deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp roughly chopped dried oregano
- 1 lemon finely zested and juiced
- 60 grams fresh mint
- 70 grams fresh flat leaf parsley
- 60 grams fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp Greek olive oil
- lemon juice
|Energy (kcal)||502 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2093 kJ|
|Protein (g)||22.1 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||51.4 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||48.1 g|
|Sugar (g)||2.2 g|
|Fibre (g)||3.3 g|
|Fat (g)||23.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||11.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||5.4 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||4.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.4 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||32 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||788 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.97 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1291 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||21.4 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||43 mg|
|Iron (mg)||3.88 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||229 mg|
- First make the bread. Make up the mix according to pack instructions adding 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Leave to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, 200°C fan oven, gas mark 7.Knead the risen dough to ‘knock back’ then divide it into 8 pieces. On a floured surface, roll the pieces out into 10cm ovals, then transfer to 2 large, floured, non-stick baking trays.
- Brush with the egg white and scatter with the mixed seeds. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden. Serve warm or make up to 24 hours in advance and store in an airtight container, then reheat to serve.
- Meanwhile place all the halloumi ingredients into a dish and marinate for 15-30 minutes. Warm a griddle pan over a high heat then add the halloumi, in batches if necessary, and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- For the salad, remove the leaves and place into a bowl. Discard the stalks (or use them to flavour stock). Drizzle over the oil (or use the marinade from the halloumi) and season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve the salad with the halloumi and hot-breads on the side.
Nonna Rosa’s tip: for variation, try cutting the halloumi into chunks and threading onto skewers before cooking. Great for a party!