Bruschetta with Tomatoes, Orange & Mint
A simple starter, lunch or anytime snack of crusty griddled Italian bread with tomato. The unusual combination of orange and mint flavours complement each other to make this dish extra tasty.
- Prep time10 minutes
- 4 portions
- 8 slices ciabatta (about 20g each)
- 1 clove garlic cut in half
- 40 grams Bertolli light buttery spread
- 250 grams mini plum tomatoes
- 1 orange
- 1/2 small red onion
- small handful fresh mint leaves
- extra virgin olive oil to serve
|Energy (kcal)||177 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||741 kJ|
|Protein (g)||4.6 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||28.5 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||25.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||2.2 g|
|Fibre (g)||3.5 g|
|Fat (g)||5.3 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||1.4 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||3.3 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||1.7 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.6 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||307 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.77 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1122 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||31.8 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||65 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.76 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||265 mg|
- Preheat the grill, griddle or barbecue. Toast the ciabatta on both sides until golden and slightly charred. Remove from the grill and keep warm. Mix the garlic and Bertolli Light spread together.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into quarters. Using a zester, remove the zest from the orange and place it into a bowl. Pour over just enough boiling water to cover and leave to ‘blanch’ for 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Remove the orange skin and pith with a sharp knife and throw it away. Chop the orange segments into 1cm cubes, and peel and finely dice the onion. Shred the mint leaves finely. Mix with the tomatoes, zest and olive oil and season to taste.
- Spread the garlic Bertolli Light over the ciabatta slices and spoon over the tomato mix onto the warm ciabatta. Serve immediately with a little olive oil to drizzle over. The tomato mixture will keep in the fridge for up to 24 hours, but always serve it at room temperature to make the most of its flavour. A rich Italian red wine is a perfect accompaniment to this simple recipe.