Italian-style Stuffed Courgettes Recipe
These Italian-style baked courgettes combined with ricotta and fresh mint are deliciously light and flavoursome. Balance the flavours with a sweet baby tomato, red onion and celery salad for a lovely lunch or dinner at any time. Or, if you’re entertaining a lot of people, double up and serve with our Stuffed Aubergines Recipe. Here, Bertolli with Butter is great for sautéing’ the vegetables and to make the topping shine as it bakes in the oven. Bellisimo.
- Cooking time35 minutes
- Prep time25 minutes
- 4 portions
- 4 medium-sized courgettes
- 50 grams Bertolli buttery spread plus extra for greasing and doting
- 1 medium-sized red onion finely chopped
- 10 pitted green olives roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 80 grams ricotta
- 60 grams grated Parmesan
- 40 grams breadcrumbs
- handful of mint leaves finely chopped
- 20 mint leaves finely chopped
- 20 grams breadcrumbs
- 10 grams grated Parmesan
- 1 ovenproof dish lightly greased with Bertolli
|Energy (kcal)||332 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1387 kJ|
|Protein (g)||16.9 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||21.2 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||17.6 g|
|Sugar (g)||7.0 g|
|Fibre (g)||3.6 g|
|Fat (g)||20.7 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||7.5 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||11.8 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||7.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||4.7 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||130 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||698 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.75 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1363 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||35.5 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||343 mg|
|Iron (mg)||2.59 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||652 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Slice the courgettes lengthways in half. With a small sharp knife, make an incision all around the edge and scoop out the pulp, so you are left with 8 empty courgette shells.
- Roughly chop the courgette pulp.
- Heat Bertolli with Butter in a large frying pan, add onion and sweat on a medium heat until softened. Add courgette pulp and olives and cook for a further minute or so until the pulp has softened, season with a little salt & pepper. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs, mix in grated parmesan and ricotta. Add mint, breadcrumbs and cooled courgette mixture and mix until all well incorporated.
- Fill courgette shells with the mixture. Tip - to make this easy, fill a piping bag with the mixture and pipe the filling into the courgette shells. Place the filled courgettes in a greased ovenproof dish. Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top of the filled courgettes followed by tiny knobs of Bertolli with Butter. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, removing the foil 5 minutes before the end of cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for a couple of minutes before serving.