Leeks with Bacon
This is a simple but distinctive side dish that’s perfect with roast meats or grilled chops – or even crusty Italian bread. The crispy fried bacon, or pancetta, contrasts with velvety soft leeks to create something that makes the plainest meal a little bit special.
- 60 g Bertolli Original Spread
- 100 g pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 750 g leeks, finely sliced, washed and patted dry
- 75 ml hot vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the Bertolli spread in a frying pan, add the pancetta (a popular Italian deli meat) or bacon and stir-fry on a medium heat until crispy. Stir in the leeks, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Add the vegetable stock, lower the heat, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 10 minutes until the leeks are soft.
- Remove from the heat and serve recipe immediately.