French Olive, Thyme & Onion Tarte Tatin
Filled with caramelised onions, fresh thyme leaves, and black olives, and roasted to a delicious stickiness in the oven with red wine vinegar and caster sugar, this Tarte Tatin is served crisp, golden and packed with rich flavours. Another of our deliciously different lunch ideas.
- Cooking time1 hour 0 minutes
- Prep time15 minutes
- 6 portions
- 850 grams white onions peeled (about 3 large)
- 50 grams Bertolli Originale buttery spread
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or red wine
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 75 grams pitted black olives (such as Le Moulin de Daudet Marinated Olives), drained and halved
- 230 grams sheets ready rolled puff pastry
- 150 grams mixed salad leaves
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsps red wine vinegar
- a little salt
- black pepper
|Energy (kcal)||390 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1628 kJ|
|Protein (g)||4.6 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||31.8 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||28.4 g|
|Sugar (g)||6.9 g|
|Fibre (g)||3.4 g|
|Fat (g)||27.9 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||5.9 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||20.8 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||15.8 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||4.9 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||0 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||224 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.56 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1551 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||11.5 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||54 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.93 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||251 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan, gas mark 6. Cut the onions into thin slices and place into a roasting tin. Add the Bertolli, sugar, vinegar, and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Mix well then spread out in an even layer. Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the onions become sticky and golden. Remove from the oven and mix in the olives.
- Increase the oven temperature to 210°C, 190°C fan, gas mark 7. Tip the onion mixture into a well-greased 22-24cm round, shallow cake or tarte tatin tin. Spread out evenly over the base.
- Unroll the pastry and cut a circle that is slightly larger than the top of the tin. Place the pastry over the onions and tuck it in around the sides like a blanket. Prick well with a fork to let the air escape and keep the pastry crisp.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and run a knife around the edge to release the pastry. Place a large plate over the tin and invert the tarte onto the plate, shaking well to remove everything from the tin. Cut into wedges and serve with dressed salad leaves.
try making mini versions in 6 x10cm Yorkshire pudding tins.