Easy Italian Fusilli with Roasted Aubergines in Tomato Sauce Recipe
This is a take on the traditional Sicilian Pasta alla Norma where aubergines and tomatoes are used to dress pasta. Forget frying, simply roast the aubergines then add to a tomato sauce. The olive oil goodness in Bertolli with Butter roasts the aubergines to perfection – as well as sautéing the onion for the soffritto of the tomato sauce. It’s a healthy pasta recipe, “delizioso!”
- 2 medium sized aubergines
- 60 g Bertolli with Butter & extra for greasing
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 40 taggiasca olives, roughly chopped
- 400 ml passata
- 400 g fusilli pasta
- large handful fresh basil leaves
- grated Parmesan, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan oven), Gas mark 9. Lightly grease a large ovenproof dish or roasting tin with Bertolli with Butter and set aside. Slice the aubergines lengthways into strips, cut into small cubes and place in the prepared tin. Roast in the oven for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Melt Bertolli with Butter in a large frying pan on a medium heat and sweat onion and chilli for a couple of minutes, stir in olives and continue to cook for a minute. Add tomato passata and 400ml of hot water, season with salt and leave to cook on a medium to low heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a large saucepan of salted water on the heat, bring to the boil and cook the fussilli until “al dente.”
- Add the roasted aubergine cubes and basil to the tomato sauce and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain the fusilli, add to the sauce, toss well with a little of the cooking water. Remove from the heat and serve immediately with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan.