Fig & Walnut Biscotti
Biscotti are one of the most recognisable Italian treats around, and so simple to make too. You might be more familiar with the sweet biscotti that are traditionally paired with coffee or sweet wine, but this delicious, richly textured version is ideal for serving with your favourite Italian cheeses, especially with gooey aromatic varieties such as Taleggio. The sweetness from the figs makes a lovely contrast.
- Cooking time1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep time20 minutes
- 400 grams plain flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 150 grams Bertolli Originale buttery spread
- 50 grams walnut pieces roughly chopped
- 75 grams dried figs roughly chopped
- 100 ml milk
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- freshly ground black pepper
|Energy (kcal)||2937 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||12287 kJ|
|Protein (g)||64.5 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||366.1 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||344.8 g|
|Sugar (g)||42.2 g|
|Fibre (g)||21.3 g|
|Fat (g)||137.5 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||26.2 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||104.4 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||37.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||66.8 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||300 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||2861 mg|
|Salt (g)||7.15 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||5965 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||755 mg|
|Iron (mg)||9.56 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||1428 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line a large baking sheet with baking parchment. Place the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the Bertolli and rub with your finger tips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the walnuts and figs. Add the milk and beaten egg. Mix together to form a soft dough.
- Turn out on to a well-floured surface and with floured hands shape into 2 even-sized 25-30cm long logs. Place onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 150C, gas mark 2.
- Leave the biscotti logs to cool for 10 minutes, then using a serrated bread knife cut into about 24 x 1-2cm wide slices. Place these back onto the lined baking sheet in a single layer and return to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave the biscotti to cool in the oven. Serve to accompany cheese at the end of a meal or as an appetizer or snack – they are particularly good with gooey cheeses such as Talleggio.
Nonna Rosa’s tip: the biscotti will keep for a good couple of weeks in an airtight container.