Rich Almond Cake
This delicious Italian-style almond cake is so easy to make, yet has a professional look, with its topping of flaked nuts. Almonds are a big favourite in Italian desserts, sweets and even liqueurs, and the ground almonds in this cake make it an absolute dream to eat.
- Cooking time1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep time15 minutes
- 12 portions
- 175 grams Bertolli buttery spread
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 125 grams ground almonds
- 70 grams plain flour
- 4 drops almond extract
- flaked almonds
- icing sugar or warmed apricot jam, to decorate
|Energy (kcal)||572 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2393 kJ|
|Protein (g)||5.0 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||106.8 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||105.3 g|
|Sugar (g)||98.6 g|
|Fibre (g)||1.4 g|
|Fat (g)||15.5 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||2.7 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||12.1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||6.7 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||5.5 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||63 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||27 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.07 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||614 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0.0 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||42 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.81 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||110 mg|
- Beat the Bertolli and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then fold in the ground almonds, flour and almond extract.
- Spread the mixture in a greased and base-lined 20cm (8 inch) deep cake tin. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C, 160°C fan oven, Gas mark 4 for 1-1¼ hours or until the cake is cooked (a skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean).
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar or brush with warmed apricot jam.