Pan-fried Pork Escalopes Recipe with Leeks and Blood-Red Orange
Escalopes, or scaloppini, are very popular in Italy for a quick and easy meal. As an alternative to the traditional style, this Italian-style pan-fried pork escalopes recipe uses fresh thyme and delicious Sicilian blood-red oranges to add a tangy kick. Blood-red oranges are only in season during January & February, but luckily you can substitute regular oranges. Bertolli with Butter gives the pork escalope a nice golden colour plus adding a vegetable like leeks completes the meal. Don’t forget to serve with lots of good crusty bread to mop up the delicious sauce.
- Cooking time
- Prep time
- 2 portions
- blood orange zest from a small blood orange
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 pork escalopes weighing approx. 100 g each
- 60 grams Bertolli buttery spread
- 1 small leek trimmed & finely chopped
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- segments of 2 small blood oranges plus extra to serve
- 50 ml white wine
- juiced of 0.5 small blood orange
|Energy (kcal)||375 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1570 kJ|
|Protein (g)||15.3 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||14.1 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||12.0 g|
|Sugar (g)||6.7 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.1 g|
|Fat (g)||27.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||6.7 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||18.7 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||9.8 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||8.9 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||45 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||119 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.30 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1583 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||36.4 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||62 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.31 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||434 mg|
- Combine zest, flour, some salt & black pepper and set aside.
- On a board, flatten the pork escalopes and coat with the flour mixture, shaking off the excess and set aside.
- On a medium heat, melt 30 g of Bertolli with Butter in a frying pan, add leeks and sweat for a minute, remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt the remaining Bertolli with Butter on a medium to low heat, add thyme and leave to infuse for a minute. Increase the heat, add the meat slices and seal well on both sides. Keep moving the meat around the pan to avoid burning.
- Pour wine, increase the heat and allow to evaporate by about half. Return leeks to the pan, add orange segments, orange juice a knob of Bertolli with Butter, cook for a minute or so until the sauce begins to thicken slightly.
- Remove the meat, place on a serving dish and pour over the sauce. Serve immediately with fresh blood-red orange segments.