Roast Chicken with Bertolli Spread
Serve up one of the special Italian recipes – it’s ideal for a family meal or entertaining. This dish breathes new life into an old familiar – roast chicken – with handfuls of delicious fresh herbs: rosemary, mint and marjoram. A squeeze of fresh lemon and a splash of white wine add extra zing along the way.
- Prep time10 minutes
- 4 portions
- small head of unpeeled garlic
- 5 large sage leaves finely chopped
- 2 rosemary sprigs needles finely chopped
- handful of fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- handful of fresh marjoram leaves finely chopped
- 1 small lemon juice keep halves
- 85 grams Bertolli Originale buttery spread
- 1.5 kg chicken
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 4 carrots cut lengthways in half
- stock cube
- Place the unpeeled garlic cloves in a hot oven 210°C, 190°C fan oven, Gas mark 7 for about 15 minutes until soft. With the help of a tea towel, remove the skins while still warm. Place the Bertolli Spread and garlic in a small bowl together with the chopped herbs, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix recipe together well until you obtain a smooth paste.
- Take the chicken and carefully ease the skin away from the breast, taking care not to tear the delicate skin. With your fingers, spread the paste evenly all over the breast under the skin. Fill the cavity of the chicken with the lemon halves.
- Line the bottom of the roasting tin with the carrots, arranging them in 2 lines like a railway track. Place the chicken on top of the carrots – this is done to prevent the bird from sticking to the tin. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil rubbing well all over. Pour in the wine and stock.
- Cover with aluminium foil and roast in the hot oven for about 1 hour 30 minutes until the chicken has thoroughly cooked through. Remove the aluminium foil 20 minutes before the end of cooking time. Remove from the oven, leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving.