Rich Almond Cake
This delicious Italian-style almond cake is so easy to make, yet has a professional look, with its topping of flaked nuts. Almonds are a big favourite in Italian desserts, sweets and even liqueurs, and the ground almonds in this cake make it an absolute dream to eat.
- 175 g (6oz) Bertolli with Butter
- 200 g (7oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 125 g (4½oz) ground almonds
- 70 g (2½oz) plain flour
- 3 - 4 drops almond extract
- flaked almonds
- Icing sugar or warmed apricot jam, to decorate
- Beat the Bertolli and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then fold in the ground almonds, flour and almond extract.
- Spread the mixture in a greased and base-lined 20cm (8 inch) deep cake tin. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C, 160°C fan oven, Gas mark 4 for 1-1¼ hours or until the cake is cooked (a skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean).
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar or brush with warmed apricot jam.