Italian Style Aubergines Recipe
Nowadays, especially in England, we can enjoy aubergines all year round so you can make this dish for a midweek meal served with a mixed green salad at any time. Bertolli with Butter is perfect in this stuffed aubergines dish as it is used not only to sauté’ the vegetables but also helps to moisten and make the topping shine as it bakes in the oven.
- Cooking time
- Prep time
- 3 portions
- 2 aubergines
- 70 g Bertolli with butter & plus extra for greasing & dotting
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs
- 40 g grated Parmesan
- 40 g breadcrumbs
- 100 g mozzarella
- large handful of basil finely chopped & a few leaves to decorate
- 10 cherry tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 ovenproof dish greased with a little Bertolli with butter
|Energy (kcal)||366 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1531 kJ|
|Protein (g)||22.8 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||31.8 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||21.6 g|
|Sugar (g)||13.4 g|
|Fibre (g)||10.2 g|
|Fat (g)||17.7 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||9.0 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||7.0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||5.2 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.7 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.1 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||185 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||575 mg|
|Salt (g)||1.43 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1114 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||15.1 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||401 mg|
|Iron (mg)||2.47 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||943 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade (fan oven).
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways to make 4 halves. Make an incision with a sharp knife about 5 mm in around the edge taking care not to tear the skin. Carefully remove the pulp with a spoon. Tip – to do this quickly and easily, make lines horizontally and vertically with a sharp knife and you will obtain ready-cut cubes as you gently scoop out the pulp. You will be left with empty aubergine shells resembling boats. Take the pulp and roughly chop.
- Heat Bertolli with Butter in a large frying pan, add garlic and sweat on a medium heat for a minute. Add chopped aubergine pulp, season with salt & pepper and stir fry for a minute or so until softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly mixing in grated parmesan. Add the cooled aubergine mixture to this together with basil, breadcrumbs and 80 g of finely chopped mozzarella.
- Fill the aubergine shells with the mixture. Arrange tomato slices on top. Finely chop the remaining mozzarella into thin strips and arrange these and basil slices next to the tomatoes. Dot with a little Bertolli with Butter. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Five minutes before the end of cooking time, remove the foil.
- Remove from the oven, leave to rest for a couple of minutes, then serve.