Orange Crema Catalana with Saffron
Orange Crema Catalana is more or less a Mediterranean take on a crème brûlée or burnt custard.
- Prep time10 minutes
- 6 portions
- 600 ml double cream
- 3 strips pared orange rind
- 1 small pinch saffron strand
- 1 cinnamon stick broken
- 6 large egg yolks
- 75 grams caster sugar plus an extra 6 tsp for the topping
- Place the cream, orange rind, saffron and cinnamon into a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Bring to just below boiling point then remove from the heat. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain the recipe mix through a fine sieve.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until the sugar has completely dissolved. Gradually add the cream mixture, whisking until combined.
- Return to the saucepan. Place over a very low heat and cook, stirring continuously without boiling, for 20 minutes or until the custard has thickened.
- Pour the custard into 6 x 200ml ovenproof brûlée or ramekin dishes. Leave to cool completely at room temperature, then cover and place in the fridge overnight, or for at least 4 hours until firm.
- When you are ready to eat, preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the extra sugar over the custard. Place the dishes into a deep roasting pan filled with ice. Cook under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar bubbles and caramelises. Alternatively use a cook’s blow torch.