Orange Crema Catalana with Saffron
Orange Crema Catalana is more or less a Mediterranean take on a crème brûlée or burnt custard.
- Prep time10 minutes
- 6 portions
- 600 ml double cream
- 3 strips pared orange rind
- 1 small pinch saffron strand
- 1 cinnamon stick broken
- 6 large egg yolks
- 75 grams caster sugar plus an extra 6 tsp for the topping
|Energy (kcal)||452 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1891 kJ|
|Protein (g)||4.8 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||17.1 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||16.5 g|
|Sugar (g)||12.7 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.6 g|
|Fat (g)||41.5 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||24.7 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||14.8 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||12.7 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||2.1 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||321 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||46 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.11 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1729 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||4.7 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||97 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.57 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||102 mg|
- Place the cream, orange rind, saffron and cinnamon into a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Bring to just below boiling point then remove from the heat. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain the recipe mix through a fine sieve.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until the sugar has completely dissolved. Gradually add the cream mixture, whisking until combined.
- Return to the saucepan. Place over a very low heat and cook, stirring continuously without boiling, for 20 minutes or until the custard has thickened.
- Pour the custard into 6 x 200ml ovenproof brûlée or ramekin dishes. Leave to cool completely at room temperature, then cover and place in the fridge overnight, or for at least 4 hours until firm.
- When you are ready to eat, preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the extra sugar over the custard. Place the dishes into a deep roasting pan filled with ice. Cook under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar bubbles and caramelises. Alternatively use a cook’s blow torch.