Orange Crema Catalana with Saffron
Crema Catalana is more or less a Mediterranean take on a crème brûlée or burnt custard. This one is even more delicious than the standard classic pudding, being delicately scented with some extra, Moorish flavours – orange, cinnamon and golden saffron. It’s simple to make and you can prepare it the night before and just crisp up the top on the day.
- Cooking time30 minutes
- Prep time10 minutes
- 8 portions
- 600 ml double cream
- 3 strips pared orange rind
- 1 small pinch saffron strand
- 1 cinnamon stick broken
- 6 large egg yolks
- 75 grams caster sugar plus an extra 6 tsp for the topping
|Energy (kcal)||339 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||1419 kJ|
|Protein (g)||3.6 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||12.8 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||12.4 g|
|Sugar (g)||9.5 g|
|Fibre (g)||0.4 g|
|Fat (g)||31.1 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||18.5 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||11.1 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||9.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||1.6 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||241 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||35 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.09 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||1297 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||3.5 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||73 mg|
|Iron (mg)||0.43 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||77 mg|
- Place the cream, orange rind, saffron and cinnamon into a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Bring to just below boiling point then remove from the heat. Cover and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain the recipe mix through a fine sieve.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until the sugar has completely dissolved. Gradually add the cream mixture, whisking until combined.
- Return to the saucepan. Place over a very low heat and cook, stirring continuously without boiling, for 20 minutes or until the custard has thickened.
- Pour the custard into 6 x 200ml ovenproof brûlée or ramekin dishes. Leave to cool completely at room temperature, then cover and place in the fridge overnight, or for at least 4 hours until firm.
- When you are ready to eat, preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the extra sugar over the custard. Place the dishes into a deep roasting pan filled with ice. Cook under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar bubbles and caramelises. Alternatively use a cook’s blow torch.