Savoury Feta & Onion Baklava
Forget the normal baklava you know, all sweet and sticky, more of a pudding or teatime treat – this is a tasty take on the usual recipe that makes a flavourful, unusual lunch or supper. It’s a little work to layer together but it’s worth it, as it’s packed with rich flavours and sticky, oozy texture. Soft onion and two types of Mediterranean cheese contrast with little nibs of walnut and crispy filo pastry.
- Cooking time30 minutes
- Prep time15 minutes
- 8 portions
- 340 grams jar good-quality onion marmalade
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 20 grams bunch fresh dill roughly chopped
- 100 grams walnut pieces
- 75 grams Bertolli Originale buttery spread
- 6 sheets (approx. 40x30cm or 270g) filo pastry
- 200 grams feta
- 75 grams Greek Malaka cheese (or cow’s milk cooking mozzarella) coarsely grated
- 2 tbsps clear honey
- tzatziki and salad leaves to serve
|Energy (kcal)||509 kcal|
|Energy (kJ)||2133 kJ|
|Protein (g)||8.4 g|
|Carbohydrate incl. fibre (g)||47.4 g|
|Carbohydrate excl. fibre (g)||44.6 g|
|Sugar (g)||29.2 g|
|Fibre (g)||2.8 g|
|Fat (g)||33.0 g|
|Saturated fat (g)||9.1 g|
|Unsaturated fat (g)||21.6 g|
|Monounsaturated fat (g)||11.4 g|
|Polyunsaturated fat (g)||10.2 g|
|Trans fat (g)||0.0 g|
|Cholesterol (mg)||22 mg|
|Sodium (mg)||373 mg|
|Salt (g)||0.93 g|
|Vitamin A (IU)||559 IU|
|Vitamin C (mg)||1.5 mg|
|Calcium (mg)||151 mg|
|Iron (mg)||1.56 mg|
|Potassium (mg)||110 mg|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C,170°C fan, gas mark 4. Mix the onion marmalade, cinnamon and dill together in a bowl. Blitz the walnut pieces in a food processor into slightly smaller pieces, but avoid grinding to a powder as you want plenty of texture.
- Grease a small metal roasting or cake tin (approx. 20-30x20cm) with some melted Bertolli. Line the base and sides of the tin with a sheet of filo, brush with Bertolli and repeat to make 2 layers of pastry (cover any remaining pastry with a damp tea-towel between uses).
- Spread half of the onion mixture over the pastry, top with half of the walnuts, half of the feta and mozzarella. Arrange another 2layers of filo over the top, brushing with Bertolli between each one. Top with the remaining onions, walnuts and cheeses. Pull any overhanging filo at the sides of the tin over the top of the filling. Finally top neatly with the last 2layers of filo, each brushed with Bertolli, folding them to fit. Lightly score the top in a diamond pattern with a sharp knife. Sprinkle lightly with a little cold water.
- Bake in the over for 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes then drizzle with honey and serve warm or cold with salad leaves and spoonful's of tzatziki.
If you would rather not use ready-made marmalade or have some onions that need using, slowly cook several thinly sliced onions in some Bertolli spread, a touch of caster sugar and balsamic vinegar over a low heat until golden. This will take about 40 minutes. Season to taste with more sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper, then leave to cool before using.